We are so excited to announce the launch of a great new online cloth diaper detergent search tool from the Real Diaper Industry Association that will help make it even easier to figure out your diaper washing routine – the Detergent Determinator!
It’s a nifty tool that lets you find out which detergents contain what, and it was created especially to make things easier for cloth diapering folks!
Browse Detergents by Name
Here’s how it works. First, go to the Detergent Determinator page. Then:
- Type in the name of the detergent you want information about
- Click Submit
- And voila! You can see if that detergent contains enzymes, brighteners, dyes, fragrance, or fabric softeners. Then, you can compare that result to whatever your diaper manufacturer suggests avoiding.
Browse detergents by characteristic
Or you can also browse by detergent characteristics using the Detergent Determinator:
- Check the additives you want to find or avoid
- Choose any other filters you’d like (HE certified, liquid, Canadian availability etc)
- Click Submit
- And bam! Couldn’t be easier. Now you have a list of detergents fitting your criteria.
The important part is to always check what your diaper manufacturer recommends, and avoid any additives or ingredients that they prohibit.
So, enjoy! It’s easy, and chock full of information.
A few notes on the RDIA and detergents in general
Please keep in mind that this is only a reference tool and detergent manufacturers often change ingredients without informing the public (or us!). Additionally, detergents react differently based on many factors including quantity of detergent, quantity of water, and water hardness. If your baby ever develops a rash which can not be explained, please consider that it may be the detergent or your wash routine.
Contact the manufacturer of your diapers for advice if you are unsure. They are always willing to help.